Wednesday 12 May 2010

Pohang Hangdo’s Got Talent (well, maybe….)

No expense was spared on the decorations for the contest.

Today I was to be a judge for the day in the school English Speaking Competition along with Jenny, my co-teacher, and 2 other HomeRoom teachers from 5th and 6th Grade.

Its funny, as I often feel that the school do not use me to my full potential and never ask for anything outside my duties of teaching lessons. This was another example, as no teachers or children had asked for help with script writing or pronunciation and the first I knew about this competition was 2 hour before it when I was told that I was to be a judge.

Anyway, it was one of the cutest and funniest things so far in school and I thought I would share with you some pics of the little darlings in their role plays.

A 4th Grade class doing a unprepared role play from the textbook.


Another 4th Grade class doing a traditional Korean story in English.


The winners, The Three Little Pigs, who were really good.


The wolf was excellent, so funny!

A group of my 6th Grade boys were the funniest though and had chosen Cinderella for their role play. One boy dressed up as a girl – in the UK this would be funny but in Korea, where acting outside the box and being a bit different is very unusual, it was hilarious for the audience and they could not control themselves. Their pronunciation was not great but they understood the words and meaning and acted it really well.

Boys dressed as girls, even at elementary school, will always pull a crowd.


Little Red Riding Hood from class 6-6.


The winners were a Grade 4 class whose teacher had obviously gone to a lot of effort with the costumes and they were all very good at their lines, especially the girl who played the wolf – she was hilarious! She even farted on the wooden house to set it alight.

Some others were a bit more painful but they tried and in a nation where getting something wrong is worse than death, it meant a lot that these kids had got up and performed.

Definitely one of the more fun days at school so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment